Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guacamole Variation (and our first challenge!)


This time of year avocados are plentiful and cheap, so I like to make guacamole for a quick snack. It's great to have containers of this stuff in the fridge.  When I come home from a long day at work, I can pop open the tupperware, take off the chip clip and DIG IN.  

There are many schools of thought on guac. I'm a fan of most styles.  Most of the time, my recipe is really simple-- just avocado, garlic, lime, salt and pepper.  Sometimes I mix it up and throw in chopped onion, cilantro, jalepeno, etc.  

This is a version I threw together at a friends and then recreated at my house.  The avocados here are plentiful but not super flavorful, so I threw in some yoghurt for texture and tang.  It worked for me, but you could also use sour cream or nothing at all.  

Guacamole Version five hundred and twelve

1 Avocado, mashed
Juice of 1 lime
half a small white onion
1 large clove of garlic
salt & pepper to taste
cayenne pepper or pepper sauce
bunch cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons plain yoghurt or sour cream
2 cherry or grape tomatoes

I put all of this in my mini-food chopper and blitz away.  You may need to adjust for salt, acidity and spice.  The yoghurt makes this really creamy (and it also stretches the yield, which is nice for those of us who are money conscious).  

This version of guac is zesty but not too spicy.  I think it would be a hit with kids or at a party where you don't know everyone's palate.  

Enjoy!

Katie


P.S.  Karen-- I challenge you to post a recipe and a photo on this blog within the next 7 days.  If you fail, I will have to punish you!  Readers, take note, you are free to suggest Karen' punishment-- culinary or otherwise!

4 comments:

  1. I love homemade guacamole. I keep mine simple, too, but I mash all mine together with a fork because I like it lumpy. Anyway - Karen should start with her delicious black bean recipe. I make it often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay. I posted a recipe, but no picture...

    Tonight! We're making chili. Well that was the royal "we". I'm making chili and I guess I'll post it and take pictures. I'm also making bread today. Maybe I'l post that too... stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! A recipe-- but how did it post before mine? Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! Guacamole! Love avocado. It freezes a lot better than I thought it would, so now I can have it year round. I found this out when I was making baby food for my son.

    ReplyDelete