Monday, May 11, 2009

Keilbasa Skillet Supper

This is a little bit of a last minute, emergency invention, based on my family's German roots. This is super inexpensive and really easy to make. Our kids like it too, so it's a great family dinner. Now that Aldi sells all-beef kielbasa for 2.29, it's become a staple at our house. I had high hopes to get a picture posted, but last night I was worn thin and multi-tasking the whole way. I'll try to post a picture soon.

This feeds a family of 6 with enough for Daddy to take to work for lunch the next day.

1 large onion, halved and sliced into wedges
1/2 5lb. bag of potatoes, peeled and cut into medium sized chunks
1 lb. kielbasa sausage (smoked sausage ring), sliced
3 T. olive oil (or more)
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. water (if needed)
1 can bavarian style sauerkraut (opt.)

Peel and cut all veggies. Heat oil in large skillet or comparably sized pot. Sautee the onions and potatoes until the potatoes are mostly tender. Season with salt and pepper. Don't overdo the salt as the sausage is salty. Add water (if dry and sticking to the pan) and add the sausage. Cover the pot and let simmer until potatoes are tender. Serve with warm sauerkraut and a tossed salad.



Okay, so here's A picture. Of course, it's me making dinner and there isn't a picture of the actual dinner... I think it's enough to say that I was able to make dinner while managing a 6 month old and three other children. Notice Jonathan's head? I strapped him on my back with my new Mei Tai Baby sling and he passed out while watching the light on the ceiling. He loves to crane his neck back. Poor thing. Anyway, here's to more posts and more fun with this blog! :)

3 comments:

  1. Karen-- I make this same thing! Good one :-) If you post a picture, you are off the hook for punishment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Aldi's, we don't seem to have them in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete